Saturday, February 6, 2010

gluten-free coconut chocolate chip cookies

over the holidays my mom veganized a recipe that a friend had given her for coconut chocolate chip cookies. dan absolutely loooooved them and requested that a batch be made for his birthday. his birthday was on groundhog day, but this week's been so busy we hadn't had the time to properly celebrate. we took yesterday off from work so we could relax together, eat yummy foods, have a ton of fun together and celebrate his birthday some more. while dan slept in i found myself awake kinda early and made him a batch of the coconut chocolate chip cookies he loves so much; i also decided to make a small gluten-free batch for myself - i mean, i can't not have cookies to enjoy, too. ah ha ha! i must admit that gluten-free baking still intimidates, and i've not yet had total gluten-free cookie success. however, yesterday was different (yay!) and the results were gloriously delicious! dan agreed that these gluten-free cookies were every bit as delectable as his cookies were. finally, a gluten-free cookie success. happydanceface! this recipe makes for about 15 small cookies, so feel free to double it if you want bigger cookies or a whole bunch more. they freeze well and are also fantastical with a scoop (or two) of vanilla coconut ice cream on top. i'm just say'n..... ;) mmmmmmmm!

ingredients:
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1 tbsp buckwheat flour
1 tbsp chickpea flour
1 tbsp tapioca starch
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt

1/4 cup vegan margarine, softened (i used earth balance)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp ground flax seed
1 tbsp warm water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

4 oz unsweetened shredded coconut
3 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips (i used the enjoy life gluten-free chocolate chips)

what you'll need:
- cookie sheet
- 2 small mixing bowls
- large mixing bowl
- fork

what'cha gotta:
preheat your oven to 350. in a small mixing bowl combine the ground flax seeds and water to make a flax "egg". combine the flours, tapioca starch, baking powder and sea salt in the other small mixing bowl. place the softened margarine & sugar in the large bowl and cream them together with a fork. add in the flax "egg" and vanilla and combine well. add the flour mixture into the wet mixture and combine. once you've got a nice dough go'n stir in the chocolate chips and coconut (at this point the dough gets pretty thick with all the awesomeness you just added in. it's okay!). grab about a forkful/spoonful of dough and roll into a ball. flatten the ball o' dough into a thick coin & place on an ungreased cookie sheet. repeat until you've got all the cookies made up and bake for 8 minutes. allow the cookies to cool for 3-5 minutes on the cookie sheet then transfer 'em to a cooling rack. enjoy!

p.s. - if you want to make these with glutenous flour simple sub in 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp whole wheat flour instead of using the gluten-free flours and tapioca starch - and bake the cookies for 10 minutes instead of 8. :)

31 comments:

LK said...

This looks delicious! I haven't had much success with gluten free baking, either. It's either too crumbly, too pasty, etc.... Does the chickpea flour impart a beany taste? Could I replace the margarine with coconut oil? Have you tried these with some gluten-free coconut flour?
Thanks for sharing!

jessy said...

hiya, LK - thanks so much! i just made these yesterday, so i haven't had a chance to try them out with coconut oil or coconut flour, but i can tell you that neither dan nor i noticed a beany taste after they were baked. keep us posted if you give them a whirl, we love feedback, and if you tweak them a bit i'd love to hear about it all as well. enjoy!

East Village Vegan said...

Mmmmm! Coconut and chocolate chip. Those cookies looks great!

Tanya said...

Those look tasty. I wonder if I can use dessicated coconut? Isn't that just dried unsweetened coconut? My brother brought me some from Asia and it's the only kind of coconut I have.

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

congrats on your success! I guess practice makes perfect.

Lauren said...

Yay! Happy Birthday, Dan! We are a day apart! :) Yummy cookies!! Chocolate chip anything is awesome!

Jes said...

My good gracious those cookies look fantabulous. I'm going to have to make them as soon as I make it back to my house (I'm snowed-in in another town). LK's suggestion for coconut oil sounds divine. I love making cookies with the stuff--it just adds such a healthy richness.

I hope you're staying super warm and cozy this weekend!

Ricki said...

Happy Belated birthday to Dan! And how lovely that you took a day off together. :) Looks like you made good use of the kitchen--those cookies sound amazing. And yay for success in GF baking!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) said...

These look awesome!!! GReat work, can I come over and help you eat them? Seriously good stuff...yum!

Jeni Treehugger said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAN!!!!!
Those cookies look the bomb.

jessy said...

Tanya - you can totally use desiccated coconut - that should work just the same. i believe desiccated coconut is just a bit smaller than shredded coconut and sometimes it's sweetened, but you can totally use it in this recipe.

chow said...

They look good! So happy for you to finally achieve gluten-free cookie success! :-)

glutenfreewelshy said...

These look awesome! I love gluten-free, vegan baking and it's great to find recipes that I don't have to adapt to make gluten-free. Thank you :)

Kiersten said...

Those look yummy! Coconut and chocolate chips are always a winning combination. I'm glad you finally had some luck with gluten-free baking. I've heard other people say the same thing, I guess it just takes time to get the hang of it.

Jamie said...

Oooh. They looks and sound great!
However, I don't eat specifically gluten-free, and therefore don't keep most of those GF flours in stock. Would you mind sharing the wheaty version too?

Thanks!

miss v said...

yay for gluten free cookie success! no one should have to live without cookies! keep on with your gf-badass self!

Mihl said...

Chocolate and coconut is such a great flavour combination!

River - The Crafty Kook said...

YAY for cookie success! They look perfect, Jessy! They definitely deserve some vanilla coconut ice cream on top! Happy belated birthday to Dan! :-)

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

ooh, they looks great!

The Voracious Vegan said...

SO DELICIOUS! I think I need a dozen or so right now, please!

dreaminitvegan said...

How cool that Dan's birthday is on Groundhogs day. hee hee Sounds like you had a nice day together.

These cookies look great. I'm going to go make em for my son. I'll let you know what we think.

have a great one!

veggievixen said...

glad you discovered your inner gluten-free cookie goddess! this recipe sounds totally fantastic. i haven't had much success with gluten-free baking either, i usually just use bob's red mill GF AP baking mix and totally cheat. let me know if you discover anything important!

happy birthday to dan!

雪糕 said...

以簡單的行為愉悅他人的心靈,勝過千人低頭禱告。........................................

Marla said...

Yum! I will be trying these tomorrow. Thank you for the gluten-free and vegan love!

vickys said...

CHOMP! I love a good choc chip cookie, especially when it's glutenfree AND vegan! Super! :) Thanks for sharing.

dreaminitvegan said...

Hey Jessy! Just an update I made these cookies and my son LOVED them! I did too! Instead of Chickpea flour I used Sorghum.
I will be making these again!

arianéspace said...

Yay, a gluten free vegan blog! I have never tried the coconut with my gluten free chocolate chip cookies before. I like your flour mix, I tend to use an all purpose gluten free flour mix and it works just as well.

aTxVegn said...

Hooray for gluten free baking success! And with chocolate and coconut - my fave combo!

Mandee said...

Love the look of those gf cookies! Interesting flour combination!

Sal said...

yummy they sound and look awesome.

Daisy Blue said...

Would love to try these ..