Friday, December 11, 2009

more brown rice split pea burgers, Tasha's fire roasted red pepper smoky black bean soup with chili lime croutons, & many more pantry challenge eatz.

helloooooooooooooooooo! we're over a week into our pantry challenge & going strong. we've still got TONS of foods to work through, but we're making a dent. w00t! here's what we've been enjoying with what we have on hand this week...

sunday night we made Tasha's (of the gloriously awesome site The Voracious Vegan) most magnificent and super stellar fire roasted red pepper smoky black bean soup with chili lime croutons. i've been wanting to make Tasha's soup since she posted it a few weeks ago, but i had been holding off because we didn't have any black beans on hand. i couldn't stand the wait so we used cooked kidney beans in order to keep with our pantry challenge and i'm sooooo glad we made this soup - it's so good it's ridiculous! hands down - amazing. Tasha, my friend - you are too good & your soup made us most happyfaced. thank you! (the changes made: our croutons were gluten-free, subbed in kidney beans for black beans, and roasted our own tomatoes instead of using canned.)

a little b for d (brown for dinner breakfast for dinner) monday night - complete with Isa's gluten-free buckwheat pancakes, Bianca's damn delicious tempeh bacon (a tester recipe for her upcoming southern style cookbook that is gonna rock your socks!), and spicy hash browns (made with the last of our csa potatoes). yummers, 'fo sho.

i snagged the last of the basil that we were growing and made pesto a few weeks ago (we now have a glass jar full of raw pesto cubes in the freezer. superhappyface.), so we enjoyed some pesto covered brown rice pasta & salads (using some old gluten-free bread ends that we'd saved in the freezer for garlicky croutons) wednesday night for dinner.


and now onto the pantry challenge split pea brown rice burgers..... what we loved the most about these burgers was that the mushrooms & carrots used in 'em were from the veggie tray from my company's christmas party. we ended up staying really late while chatting it up with everyone & they sent the leftover veggies home with us. we used some of the celery from the tray in Tasha's soup & we cut up 'n froze the other half for later; the cucumbers and cherry tomatoes made for tasty snacks, and we froze the leftover bell peppers from the tray, too. hooray for no food waste!

ingredients:
1 cup cooked split peas
1 cup of cooked brown rice
3 large leaves of swiss chard, chopped well (kale, collards, or other tasty greens)
2 small carrots, chopped
1 small yellow onion, diced
10 (or more) button mushrooms, sliced & chopped
3 large cloves o' garlic, crushed & minced
a few pinches of sea salt & pepper
1/4 cup cornmeal
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp water
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp safflower oil

what you'll need:
- large skillet
- large mixing bowl
- food processor
- olive oil cooking spray

what'cha gotta do:
heat the skillet to medium & saute the onions, mushrooms, 'n carrots in the safflower oil until the onions begin to soften up. add in the garlic & chard and saute until the greens wilt a little & the garlic is fragrant. add in the garlic powder & a little sea salt 'n pepper - then transfer it all to the mixing bowl. toss the cooked brown rice & cooked split peas in the food processor with the 2 tbsp of water & give it a few whirls around. place the whizzed peas 'n rice in the large bowl with the sauteed veggies, toss in the cornmeal & nutritional yeast - and combine well (adjusting the seasonings to your taste). if the mix is a bit too dry, add in a little more water - if it's too wet add in a little more cornmeal (or gluten-free bread crumbs, crushed gluten-free crackers, etc.). form patties to your heart's delight & heat up a little olive oil cooking spray in the skillet over medium heat. saute the burgers until they're a little brown on both sides, remove from the skillet, & enjoy! (these bake up great, too - 350 degrees for about 20 minutes - just flip 'em over half way through the cooking time and you'll be good to go. yay!)

uno mas: with the remainder of the mushrooms from the veggie tray i sauteed 'em up for a tasty gluten-free mushroom reuben that was topped with some forgotten about kraut & the last of some cheeze that was about to expire. :)

pantry challenges = the best!

happy friday, everyone!

23 comments:

Mihl said...

Swiss chard in burgers sounds very delicious! Oh and I've been eyeing Tasha's soup. Her recipes are always awesome.

Christie @ Honoring Health said...

So glad to see you post!!

Those split pea burges look awesome!

The Voracious Vegan said...

YAY! So glad you liked that soup! Your photo is amazing!!! Thanks for all the nice words. :-)

Your blog never fails t make me insanely hungry. I think it is a combination of your awesome photos, the scrumptious meals, and the great descriptions. By the time I'm done reading a post I'm ready to head into my kitchen and have seconds, thirds and fourths! I love it!

Your burgers look GREAT! Such a genius idea - thank you!

sweetkaroline said...

those are some serious yums you have there!

miss v said...

i love when i snag the leftover veggies or fruit from parties! :) i can't wait to try tasha's soup -i've had my eye on it for a while now.

split peas! yay!

Lauren said...

Oh my Lordy! So much good food in one great post!!! I always know when you are MIA from posting, that you are going to come back with a kick ass, delicious one!! And you sure did!

Have a great weekend!

Kiersten said...

That soup sounds yummy! I must have missed that one when Tasha posted it. Thanks for sharing the link. Your burgers sound yummy too! I love Swiss Chard in anything (but not as much as kale!)

Sal said...

yum it all looks ace, especially the soup and those burgers - yum. i like the idea of using rice in burgers, i'll have to try that.

dreaminitvegan said...

I'm already warming up just looking at that chili!
Did I just read split pea burgers? How cool is that!

romeoedgerly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bianca said...

Oh my! That soup sounds fantastic. I love Tasha's blog, and everything she makes looks so tasty. I know I'd love that.

And thanks for makin' my bacon. That rhymes.

Also, the burgers sound so good. I really need to do a pantry challenge too. I'm starting the ACT in January (inspired by you and Leslie of Pixiepine)...so I need to eat the crap in my pantry that I can't touch during the ACT.

Mandee said...

What a great idea for a challenge and I LOVE those pancakes, such a good recipe :D

T said...

Oh my goodsies, everything looks absolutely amazing! Especially have to give that soup a try.

Jes said...

Wonderful eats! I just used some of my frozen garden pesto today on pasta--I love how great freezers are for saving the summer's goodness. And that mushroom ruben?! I've got to make one soon!!

Liz said...

Heck yeah! You guys are doing awesome with the pantry challenge! Love the zero food waste usage of the party tray. And props to you for actually writing down the recipe during a pantry challenge- I just throw all sorts of things together when I'm subbing all sorts of ingredients.

vegancaliente said...

That black bean soup looks awesome!

River - The Crafty Kook said...

You roasted your own tomatoes? You're my hero, Jessy! Canned foods freak me out a little, but I am always too lazy not to use them.

Your soup and croutons looks most awesome! And I love the split pea and brown rice burgers without wheat gluten! YAY!

I also love your idea of freezing pesto cubes! I often think it would be nice to have frozen broth cubes for when our soups are tongue-melting hot! :-P

aTxVegn said...

I had to smile when I read you got your company's leftover veggie trays because the same thing happened to me. I was kinda mad to be stuck cleaning up, but I scored big time!

You are doing amazing things with your pantry challenge. I saw VV's soup and thought it looked amazing, esp. those croutons. Now I'll have to try it for sure!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

How can that be pantry challenge food?! It looks too good!

Brandi said...

Just posted an Arbonne Giveaway on my blog!

晚上 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
prashant said...

Especially have to give that soup a try.

Work from home India

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Chili and lime croutons sounds like something I need in my life!