Sunday, September 20, 2009

sweet chili glazed tempeh & bluemont fair fun!



we're got a freezer full of local tempeh and were in the mood for some tempeh goodness last week. we were think'n about something a little spicy, but kinda sweet as well - sweet chili glazed tempeh was to be had. it's slightly spicy, not too sweet, and oh-so delicious! here's how to get your sweet chili glazed tempeh on... :)

ingredients:
1 block of tempeh cut into shapes you love the most & steamed for 10 minutes (we cut our block into thirds, then cut each third in half, cutting each of those 6 pieces diagonally to create triangles, and finally slicing each triangle in half lengthwise to make them thin. confusing? i know, i’m confused myself now! ahahahahaa!)
1/4 cup agave nectar (we use raw agave nectar)
1/4 cup very finely minced yellow onion
2 large cloves of garlic, crushed & minced
2 tbsp + 1/2 tsp wheat-free tamari, divided (soy sauce or liquid braggs would be a-okay as well)
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp sriracha (you can also use chili paste or your favorite hot sauce.)
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp ketchup
1 cup veggie broth (or 1 cup of water with ½ not-chicken bouillon cube dissolved)
1/2 tsp marmite (optional, but use it if you've got it!)
1/4 tsp sea salt
olive oil cooking spray

what you’ll need:
- large skillet (we used our cast iron skillet)
- small mixing bowl
- 9 x 13 baking pan (or another container for some speedy marinating)

what’cha gotta do:
after your tempeh is steamed place transfer it to 9x13 baking pan (or another container for marinating). combine just 1 tbsp of the tamari, 1 cup of veggie broth, and ½ tsp of marmite in the small mixing bowl then pour it over the steamed tempeh. allow this to marinate for a few minutes while you prep the sauce. combine the agave nectar, remaining 1/2 tsp tamari, sriracha, chili powder, minced garlic, finely minced onion, water, balsamic, ketchup, and sea salt in the small mixing bowl & set it aside. once the tempeh has been marinating for about 10 minutes, spray the skillet with some olive oil cooking spray and heat to medium-high. drain off the marinade & place the tempeh in the skillet. saute the tempeh for 2-3 minutes on each side, then reduce the heat to medium. continue to saute the tempeh until it browns up a good bit on both sides, then turn off the heat & add in the sweet chili sauce frmo the mixing bowl. move the tempeh around a good bit in the skillet to ensure even coating, remove the skillet from the heat, & let it veg out for another minute or two. that’s it – enjoy! we served ours over some baked sweet potato hash & roasted csa green beans. super yum!

yesterday my friend emily & i ran the bluemont fair 10K together - it was so much fun! the race didn't start until 8am, which was nice because most start an hour earlier - so we were well rested & ready to go. such a fun run, fo 'sho! after showering up we headed over to the bluemont fair to partake in mucho mas awesomeness. we enjoyed kettle corn, fried plantains, apple cider, antique shopping, llama seeing (don't they have just the cutest little faces!) and wine tasting - all in the nicest of weather, too! w00t! i couldn't have asked for a more stellar saturday. yay! while at the fair i picked up some goodies from echo ridge farm for dan & i to enjoy this week. all kinds of tasty, tasty tomatoes (the green zebras = my favorite!), bell peppers, and the yummiest green beans i've had!

tonight is soup 'n bread night - we can't wait!

csa: green beans, onion
local: tempeh, garlic

15 comments:

Christie @ Honoring Health said...

Awesome day, jess. Glad you enjoyed the run!!

p.s. I love kettle corn!

Heather said...

tempeh, llamas, and produce! three of my favorite things. YAY!

Lauren said...

Awesome day! :) Local tempeh, awesome!! :)

We are having soup tonight too! Mmm!!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) said...

unfort i can't have soy so tempeh's out, but....your glaze looks amazing and I could totally rock that out for a veggie glaze/salad dressing type thing. Inspiration...thank you :)

Kiersten said...

I love the llama pictures! I love llamas (and alpacas), their little faces are so cute! I'm glad you and Dan had a good time at the fair. That sounds like a nice way to spend a Saturday.

Your tempeh recipe sounds delicious! Now that I like tempeh I have been bookmarking lots of tempeh recipes. I'm adding this one to the list! Hope you have a nice week :)

Jes said...

Llamas, produce, tempeh, and an awesome run?! What an amazing weekend!!!

aTxVegn said...

Your sweet hot chili sauce recipe looks really delicious.

The fair looks like fun after a good run. Those llamas are so cute!

Those green beans are my favorite! I think they are romano beans - I love 'em!

Vegetation said...

Llamas!!!!!! (Now I have the Llama llama song in my head!!! No I won't link it, you'll sing it forever :P).


Mmmmm I am loving the look of that tofu! Sweet chilli is a winner!

Vegetation said...

Ummm by tofu I mean tempeh, I don't know why I wrote tofu (probably because I can't eat either and I'm always sad at how delicious they both look!)

The Voracious Vegan said...

WOW! Awesome post! Delicious food, adorable animals and a fun fair! I looove the way that tempeh looks, wish I could try some.

T said...

Mmm... sweet chili.... love how you paired it with the sweet potatoes too, that looks amazing! I am majorly hankering for some spicy food right now!

Glad the race went well girl! Looks like it was a gorgeous day!

cookingforaveganlover said...

I should learn not to read food blogs when I am hungry and at work. Wow great dish!

Mihl said...

Llamas!!!!

I just had to do this, I love them.

Yum, that tempeh sounds amazing. I am still exited about every new tempeh recipe I see, because I only recently started cooking with it. (Yeah, I know.)

Clea said...

Hi Jessy (and Dan!)
Just wanted to say that I found a use-it-or-lose it block of tempeh in my fridge the other day, went to my Google reader to search for tempeh recipes, but your new post caught my attention. I took a lazier route and just made the "sauce" the marinade, and let that sit overnight in the fridge. Today I browned some garlic and onions in a big pan, added 2 small Japanese eggplants (maybe? I have no clue what they were!), some grape tomatoes, a little leftover stir-fry sauce (mainly soy and a little peanut butter), the tempeh and some millet/quinoa. I cooked it for a while and voila! Served over sauteed kale, a tasty fast dinner. Even my tempeh-hating boyfriend said "this is a really good glaze." So, just wanted to say thanks!

Erin said...

Sweet and spicy glazed tempeh sounds AMAZING! Looks great too. Love the llama faces!