Tuesday, March 24, 2009

smoky 'n spicy lentil-potato-quinoa burgers

alllllright! the burgers turned out to be super tasty if we do say so ourselves! hooray! i'm thinking of adding in a little more garlic next time around (one can never have enough garlic, right!?!), and maybe a bit more sriracha (i'm pretty sure we're addicted to sriracha!) - but they definitely were smoky 'n spicy and damn delicious! in an effort to use up more pantry items we used both quinoa and lentils - and tossed in some fingerling potatoes that really were looking a little sadfaced. gotta love a burger that prevents food waste! huzzah! i think it's safe to say that one could pretty much use any potato, grain, and bean/legume for this recipe and it would create an oh-so delicious burger, fo 'sho! let us know if you change it up - we'd love to know about other rock'n combinations! superw00t!

ingredients:
10 fingerling potatoes, diced
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups cooked green lentils
1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
1/3 cup plain rice milk
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp sriracha
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 tsp vegan worcestershire sauce
2 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp tomato paste (ketchup would totally work as well)
1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp peanut oil
olive oil cooking spray
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 tsp creole seasoning

what you'll need:- large mixing bowl
- large skillet + lid
- 9x13 baking pan
- potato smasher
- plate
- small mixing bowl

what'cha gotta do:
spray the baking pan with a little olive oil cooking spray. roast diced fingerling potatoes on 425 until tender (about 30 minutes). remove from oven & transfer to the large mixing bowl.

heat 1 tsp olive oil in the large skillet saute onion until it begins to brown. add garlic, 1/4 tsp sea salt, and onion powder. saute for another minute. add cooked lentils, chili powder, tomato paste, cumin, vegan worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, garlic powder, dried parsley, black pepper, & sriracha. reduce heat to low & cook for 5 minutes. remove from heat. add rice milk to the mixing bowl with the potatoes & smash 'em all together until ya get mashed potatoey goodness. add in 1/4 tsp sea salt, cooked quinoa, & lentil-onion-spice mixture. combine well, adjust seasonings to taste & form 6 patties with your hands. combine cornmeal & creole seasoning in the small mixing bowl (adding in a little sea salt & garlic powder if you like). pour cornmeal mix onto the plate and coat each burger well with the cornmeal mix. wipe out the large skillet & return to heat. spray skillet with olive oil cooking spray & turn heat to medium. cook burgers until they just begin to brown on each side (about 3-5 minutes) then reduce heat to low, cover with lid, and cook for another 5-8 minutes (flipping them over half way through the cooking time). you can also bake the burgers in the oven on 350 for 30 minutes, flipping over after 15 minutes.


p.s. - we served our burgers with garlicky-ginger-maple carrots and more roasted asparagus.

p.p.s - and don't let those buns fool ya - we didn't make them - they're store bought. a super busy weekend left us with very little time to make breads for the week. i feel kinda guilty about it (and you better believe we'll be reusing the plastic bag from the buns), but i'll get over it.

30 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

More holy yum creations!!

Lauren said...

YUM!!! You always put me in the mood for a "burger!"

seitanismymotor said...

The burger recipe sounds like another winner!

Clea said...

You make the best burgers! I made some last night based on (I think) your mishmash black bean burgers...used a cup of frozen chopped onions/bell pepper strips, a little over a cup of beans, a cup of cooked millet polenta, a baked potato, breadcrumbs and a bunch of your seasoning suggestions. They are super-yummy and I can't wait to have one for lunch soon! Next time I'm definitely using some of these flavor ideas (worcestershire sauce and ketchup? I'm there!) and will try coating them in cornmeal. Thanks for your great recipes!

Bianca said...

Yummy burgers! I love the idea of using lentils and quinoa together! And you can never, ever have too much garlic.

As for those buns, I thought, damn those buns look too perfect to be homemade...I just assumed they were since ya'll always make your own. :-)

Bianca said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
miss v said...

love it! and adding sriracha to anything makes me purr with delight. :)

allularpunk said...

more burger-y goodness, jessy! i might just make a batch of these and eat them for lunches this week. yummmmm! and don't worry bout the storebought buns...it happens to all of us from time to time. in fact, it happened to us this week as well!

Sal said...

Your burgers always look amazing. Lovin the idea of quinoa in a burger, must try that.

I also love the idea that potatoes can be sadfaced! hahaha

nora said...

i just had a quinoa burger at a restaurant last wk (itt's on my blog), yours looks like it could give mine a run for its money though!!

Ricki said...

I have no doubt that ANY burger you'd make would be super tasty, but these sound extra delcious. :) And I gotta get me some sriracha!

jd said...

Ooo...

That looks so good! Especially since I tried (and miserably) failed to make homemade burgers last night.

Looks like I'll have to start using your recipe as a base from now on!

Thanks :)

PS Those carrots sound delicious, too!

aTxVegn said...

I KNEW you would make yet another fantastic burger- and spicy too!

jrsimon56 said...

Woah! I'm taggin' this one for sure! Love makin' veg burgers. Sooooo good!

Tami (Vegan Appetite) said...

Man, that burger looks awesome!

Veganissexy said...

Wow. Those are some stellar looking burgers! I too am a siracha addict. I like to add it until I'm practically crying and hyperventalating from the heat. Good call :)

innocentprimate said...

I love that you used potato in your burger! I've been toiling over that exact idea - how to incorporate potatoes into my burgers.. as if I don't eat enough potatoes :) Nicely done!! Thanks for the recipe!

selina said...

i love how you made burgers without any meat substitutes like seitan or tempeh. they look delicious!

veggievixen said...

roasted asparagus!!

that is all.

madaboutudon said...

Beautiful recipe... Looks like a fantastic combination of flavours and textures!

Kiersten said...

Quinoa and sriracha in a burger? Yum! You make such awesome burgers.

I totally agree with you- you can never have too much garlic in something!

Mark said...

Sounds awesome! I'm going to have to try that some time! I might leave out the liquid smoke, though. I can't handle that stuff for some reason. I'm definitely with you on the sriracha sauce, though.

Cynthia said...

You had me at smoky and spicy! Those are pretty much my two favorite flavors. Yum. And potato sounds great in a burger.

jodye said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jodye said...

Ooh these look amazing! Quinoa and liquid smoke- my favs! And do you like eating out of bowls as much as I do? I noticed a trend in the last few posts..

Vegetation said...

BURGERS!! And what fantastical burgers they are!!!!!

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

what an awesome combination of ingredients! And the carrots sound so tasty too. Great recipe!

shellyfish said...

I can't wait to try these!!! Quinoa and lentils? Rock and or roll, Jessy and Dan of burger genius! I need me some rolls and I'll be all set to jet!

River said...

Oooh Jessy! These look amazing! I love all the wholesome ingredients - you guys always create the best burgers ever!

Clea said...

Haha, I commented earlier but just wanted to say I made these and loved 'em. Instead of the potatoes, I had some shredded frozen hash browns (just potatoes in the ingredients really), and using a cup (maybe cup and a half?) of that worked great! Your burgers always rock.