Wednesday, January 7, 2009

ethiopian awesomeness & W.I.P. wednesday!


last april i took dan out to try ethiopian foods at our local ethiopian restaurant. he thought it was "alright", but found the spices to be a bit overwhelming. i looooove ethiopian yummies and my friend emily & i go every now again - it's sooooo goooooood. i wanted to try and make ethiopian yummies that dan might like - homemade without too much spice or oil (i knew we could tone those down just a bit) - so sunday night i picked up kittee's zine papa tofu and made a bunch of ethiopian goodness for us to enjoy tuesday night. i figured if i made the dishes ahead of time (we made the injera last night as the dishes were reheating) the flavors would have more time to really get to know each other.

we made the niter kebbeh (seasoned "butter"), injera (spongy sourdough flat bread), atar allecha (split pea puree), and kittee's yetakelt w'et (vegetables in a spicy red gravy). i used just 1 tbsp of niter kebbeh per dish, toned down the berbere spice in the w'et just a tad, subbed green peas for green beans in the w'et, and we let our 100% teff injera sit for 2 1/2 days. the verdict: wahooooooooooooooo, glorious! i was sooooooo scared the injera would be fussy, and we didn't have a teflon pan so we used a bit of olive oil cooking spray - it turned out to be soooo delicious - and it worked! i have heard injera is super hard to make - but it was perfect! we followed kittee's directions and oh my gosh, yay! we both gobbled everything up! it was so delicious! dan said we should enjoy ethiopian awesomeness more often!

thank you so much for the rock'n recipes, kittee! if you guys haven't checked out her recipe site, pakupaku, you need to right now! it's loaded with information and a million tasty recipes! and if you don't already have papa tofu you need to order it NOW!

alrighty - now here's my W.I.P wednesday! has everyone been to Shelly's blog Musings From The Fishbowl? you need to get your butts over there if you haven't - 'cause Shelly's blog rocks so hard! not only does she make the most tasty looking yummies (try her smashing grain casserole immediately!) but she's one helluva crafy lady! a while ago she had this awesome idea to start posting her "works in progress" (W.I.P.) on wednesdays - showing off all the crafty projects she's work'n on.

W.I.P. has really caught on - and this past monday my fellow blogging buddy allularpunk, of Awesome. Vegan. Rad. (which is awesome, vegan, and rad multiplied by a million), was telling everyone that she's learning to
knit and she's gonna participate in W.I.P. wednesdays, too. i told allularpunk i'd try not to be such a chickensh*t and join in...

it all starts two decembers ago when i wanted to learn to knit. i signed myself up for a beginner's class at our local yarn shop the Yarn Lounge. i knitted a scarf or two over the next few months at the beginning of last year and then the knitting kinda faded out. however, more recently i've found Stacey's blog Te Amo Vegano! (you need to check out her blog 'cause it's fantastically stellar!) - and her knits and totally inspired me to start knitting again! (have you all been over to Bitter Sweet lately? Hannah just finished knitting a sweater! superimpressedface!)

okay, enough rambling - here's my W.I.P ----> a scarf for dan's sister! dan's momma gave me this yarn 2 christmases ago. it's wool (at the time we weren't vegan and so i decided i should use it up instead of wasting it) and multicolored and all the colors his sister loves (i think/hope!). so as soon as i'm done this colorful ribbed scarf it's going to her. pretty cool, huh?! i can't wait to have it all finished - then i'll post another picture before i send it off to its new home! w00t!

what's everyone else got go'n on for their W.I.P wednesday? i totally showed you all my knits - now you show me yours! ;)

32 comments:

Liz² said...

I thought the ethiopean food was enough sublime for one post (I MUST eat at your house, injera you say? homemade everything? :O~~~~~), but then there's that beautiful scarf! dan's sister is gonna be very lucky. :)

Lovliebutterfly said...

Wow you've been busy! That ethiopean meal looks absolutely yummy and warm! It's almost like I could smell it. You make me hungry! And it's so cold out there, that's just the kind of meal I want to eat! Yum!

VeggieGirl said...

Delish and stunning!!

Vegan_Noodle said...

I am so impressed!! Both with your Ethiopian feast (wow, you made injera!!) and of course with the knitting!
I have some works-in-progress but I'm waiting till next week to post 'em. The scarf is lovely!

Lauren said...

Never had Ethiopian food, looks yummy though!

My brother in laws girlfriend just learned how to knit and was trying to teach my mother in law and I. We were having problems though because she is right handed and we are both left. So my mother in law got us all yarn, needles, and a how to knit book. I have yet to open it though, I've been to busy! I can't wait to learn! That scarf is gorgeous!

shellyfish said...

I'm so excited to see you WIPping!!! I just love you, Jessy! You made my heart super happy with all your sweetness...and I that that scarf is just great. I really hope to learn to knit - I have a wonky book, but there are no classes near by. I need to get on it.
And that food! I love Ethiopian food - why haven't I made Kittee's recipes? She's so amazing!

kittee said...

hallo!
i'm so impressed with you. i agree with liz2, i was happy enough with the injera and stew shots, and then you come from behind with the knitting! i think i participate in today's WIP Wed. thanks!
xo
kittee

allularpunk said...

i've never had ethopian food (nowheres to get it here), but have always wanted to try it. i really must get papa tofu and make those recipes! they look superawesome! also, your knitting is SO GREAT! so much better than mine, haha... i'm glad you're doing WIP weds so that we get to see your cool creations, jessy! haha...and thanks for the sweet shoutout ;)

veggievixen said...

i loooove ethiopian food. especially the veggie kind!

T said...

I'm still scared to make my own ethiopean, but yours looks so good its helping me get my nerve up! That Papa Tofu zine is so GOLD!

And that's a beautiful scarf! I love to knit too, and just finished a gold and grey scarf for my bf over the winter break. I should get cracking on something new. :)

twoveganboys said...

I love Ethiopian food. I have Papa Tofu. I made the lentil dish and the baked vegetable dish. I need to make the meals you made. They look awesome.
The knitting is lovely. I am taking a knitting class this month. I want to learn how to knit.

Anna Graham Shonle said...

Wow, your Ethiopean meal is a feast for my eyes!

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

the scarf looks great! I know she'll love it.

Jes said...

That eithiopian food looks so darn good. I've been meaning to try the recipes, but I haven't gotten around to buying the extra ingredients.

You live in Richmond?! How rad! I might be moving there this fall (I applied to VCU). Some of my family lives up there so I'm around a lot already. Next time I'm in the hood, we should do a vegan meet-up!

jessy said...

you can come over anytime, Liz! we can make more awesome ethiopian yummies complete with injera, too! but only if you promise to bring some of your daifukus! mmmmmmmm!

we have been pretty busy in the kitchen, Lovlie - but we had a good bit of a break over the holiday, so it's nice to be back!

thanks, VeggieGirl!

thank you so much, Vegan Noodle! i look forward to your W.I.P. post next wednesday! yay!

knitting is the best, Lauren - i think you'll love it! it's so addictive & awesome!

thanks again, Shelly! and you should check out kittee's recipes - they're ammmmmaaaaaazing! knitting is pretty easy - took me a day to really get the basics down, but it's so cool! a good book is "stitch 'n bitch". try that one out if you can find it. totally helped me - and it's got some rad patterns, too!

hallo, kittee! thanks again for the rock'n vegan recipes. we were sooooo superexcitedface that everything was so awesome and that the injera was a success! you totally made my whole week! i look forward to your fun W.I.P. post, too! yay! :D

you've totally gotta try some ethiopian foods, Jessica - they're super tasty! oh man, i can't wait to see your W.I.P. post! i'm out with friends tonight, but i'm going to try and check it out before i go to bed! sooo excited!

isn't it sooo delicious, veggie vixen!?! makes me most happyfaced! mmmmmmmmm!

you should show off the scarf & your new project once you start, T! i was intimidated with ethiopian yummies as well - but it's really not that hard! you should open up Papa Tofu and give them a whirl!

i think you'll really enjoy the knitting class Krys! knitting is fun & addictive & sooo calming! i love it so much! the split pea dish was my favorite - dan loved the veggie one the most! they were both so rock'n!

thanks, Anna!

i think she'll like it too, Lisa! i've got my fingers crossed!

so cool, Jes! VCU is great! i went there for 7 years (eek!) starting waaay back in 1997. stayed around after graduating because rva is pretty cool. to be honest, i actually hated the city for the first two years i was here - then it kinda grew on me! it's the best! i'm totally up for a veg meet-up! hells yeah! and if you're ever in town again make sure to hit up harrison street coffee shop & ipanema, too! they're both on VCU campus and about a block from each other. the coffee shop has some funky hours - but they're both awesome & both vegan & veggie!

Bianca said...

Oh wow! I can't believe how yummy your injera looks! I've always been too scared to try to make it, so I get my fix at a local Ethiopian place.

But now I think I'll try since you say it's easy. I have to re-order Papa Tofu first cause I gave my copy to a friend for Xmas (who I forgot to buy for...oops!).

Your scarf is beautiful too!

Ruby Red Vegan said...

Wow, I am very, very impressed that you made the injera yourself! I have also heard it's a really difficult process to get right, so it speaks a lot for your skills that you got it perfect! I love Kittee's ethiopian recipes, too. I have made the Misr Allecha (including the Niter Kibbeh) and it was even better than the same dish my local Ethiopian place. I didn't think it was possible, because I already think our Ethiopian restaurant is amazing! I cheated though and bought the restaurant injera for my Misr Allecha. :)

Cynthia said...

Oh yum! I love Ethiopian food, but I've been to lazy to make anything even close to authentic versions of it, so you are totally inspiring me. I'm so glad your injera turned out great!

That scarf looks beautiful too. I love knitting, but I'm taking a wee break after all of my holiday knitting projects.

miss v said...

those pictures are amazing... and making me want ethiopean right now!

dietdessertndogs said...

I LOVE Ethiopian food, and miss it so, as my honey won't eat it! Everything looks great. And gorgeous scarf!

jumbleberryjam said...

Just today I was lamenting over how long it's been since I've had fresh, warm injera! It's the BEST served warm (and the only Ethiopian restaurant I've been to that does it is in D.C.). Your meal looks yum-o!

Vegetation said...

Mmmmm that looks INCREDIBLE! I'm coming to your house for dinner for sure ;)

Vegetation said...

Oh! And PS. I love the scarf! Sorry, hit the send button too soon :P

Sal said...

Wow that all looks so colourful and tasty! I've never made ethiopian food either, I must try it.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oh my gosh, I want to make Ethiopian food! I love it so much, but I'm too scared to try it.

Jessie said...

First of all, the Ethiopian food looks authentic and delicious. Second of all, beautiful scarf so far! I love the multi-colored yarn.

VeganCowGirl said...

Seriously Jessy!!
I have to say this is your wickedest post ever! You are amazing. I love love love ethiopian food so much it hurts. When I lived in Toronto there was a vegan ethiopian restaurant (where you could now go and work!) and here in Brussels, well, don't ask. Soooo seeing the luck you had with kittee's recipes makes me think that it is possible to make my own.

And the scarf? Well - I really wish I was Dan's sister. You kick WIP wednesday's ass!

Great post!!!!

Stacey said...

Aww, thanks for the shout out! I think your blog rocks too!! I have most of your posts "starred" on Google reader. Good stuff!

I think my Papa Tofu is in the mail. Can't wait!

WIP Wednesday's is a great idea - I'll join you guys next Wednesday. I love the colors of that scarf! I need to work on my purling.

Thanks for the encouraging words on the 7 Habits! Last night I was suck in some awful traffic and got to practice "Be Proactive." I turned on some tunes and tried to make the best of the 45 minutes it took me to go 10 miles.

River said...

YAY for Kittee, Shelly, and all the hand made goodies! The scarf you're making for Dan's sister is gorgeous! That's great that you got to use up the wool that would have just gone to waste otherwise!

Jeni Treehugger said...

I LOVE that scarf!!

Erin said...

Homemade Ethiopian, I'm so impressed!

Mike K said...

Love the Ethiopian food! The injera looks really good - my one attempt at making injera at home didn't really work out, so I'll have to try that again. You have some great looking food here!