Wednesday, October 8, 2008

VeganMoFo: southern baked tempeh with gravy, smashed potatoes, & roasted green beans!

because we can't get enough comfort food around here we thought some southern baked tempeh 'n gravy was in order - and we just had to have some green beans (because Cyn, Chessa & Jenna had me drooling over theirs) and smashed potatoes, too! yay!

we usually make baked tofu, but we thought we'd change it up a bit and use local tempeh instead - breading it oven baked tofu style, and not bothering to marinate the tempeh. this southern style meal was fantastical, filling, comforting, & awesome - yeah, it totally rocked! we're thinking that seitan or tofu could be substituted in place of the tempeh if you prefer, too.

hooray for southern yummies & more comfort food! mmmmmmmm!

ingredients for the southern baked tempeh:
1 block tempeh
1/2 cup plain rice milk (or any plain non-dairy milk)
1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp poultry seasoning (or a little sage, rosemary, & thyme)
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1/2 tsp black pepper

ingredients for the gravy:
1 cup rice milk
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 cup water
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp liquid braggs
1 tsp yellow miso
1 tbsp corn starch
1/4 cup chickpea flour (thanks, Marni!)
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
2 tsp poultry seasoning
a pinch of sea salt
a dash (or as much as you ♥) of black pepper

what you'll need:
- cookie baking sheet
- 2 small bowls
- olive oil cooking spray
- something to steam your tempeh in (we use a colander, a pot, and a lid!)
- medium-sized sauce pan
- whisk

what'cha gotta do for the tempeh:
cut tempeh block into 24 thin triangles & steam your tempeh for about 10-15 minutes. set aside to cool off a little. pour rice milk into one small bowl. in the other small bowl combine all the ingredients (except for the tempeh) for the breading. dip each triangle o' tempeh into the rice milk, then place in bowl with the breading mix and coat thoroughly with breading. quickly dip your breaded triangle back into the rice milk (because 2 layers of breading = extra deliciousness), then coat again in breading. spray your cookie sheet with a bit of olive oil cooking spray. transfer breaded tempeh triangles to the cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes on 350 (no need to preheat), turning the triangles over after 10 minutes. remove from oven and smother with gravy.

what'cha gotta do for the gravy:
heat 2 tsp olive oil in the medium sauce pan on medium-high. add in onions and saute for 4 minutes, then reduce heat to medium and saute for another 4-6 minutes - you want them to get browned up a good bit. pour in rice milk & water - bring to a boil. reduce heat to low and whisk in the flour, cornstarch, nutritional yeast, miso, liquid braggs, and all the spices. adjust seasonings to taste. whisk constantly until thickened and you're all set!

p.s. - we simply roasted our green beans in the oven with the tempeh - using just a little olive oil cooking spray to lightly grease a 9x13 baking pan. dan made the smashed potatoes using 4 large organic russet potatoes, about 1/4 cup (+ a few tbsp) plain rice milk, a little sea salt, 2 tbsp margarine, and 1 tbsp toffuti cream cheese. oh my gosh, these were some tasty, tasty potatoes - i had a hard time not breaking into all the leftovers! ahahahhaaa!

p.p.s - this recipe made for 4 medium sized servings.

26 comments:

Bianca said...

Wow! You know the way to a Southern vegan's heart! This LOOKS SO GOOD! I've been craving mashed potatoes all day (it's raw food day for me), and this just might do me in. I should go to bed before I cheat and eat cooked food.

And damn, that tempeh! Shit!

pinkhairedcyn said...

That looks so delicious. Gravy makes everything awesome. And I'm so jealous you get local tempeh! I'm trying to figure out how to make my own tempeh right now, because the homemade stuff I've had is so much better than store bought - I bet local is super good, too.

Georgia said...

Oh that looks good. Such comfort food. I can't wait to try the gravy (I am sure I will use it on tofu and tempeh and seitan)

thanks heaps

seitanismymotor said...

Yum, yum, yum! I wish tempeh wasn't that expensive over here.

VeganCowGirl said...

mmmmmmmm oh my. I am loving those pictures. Amazing amazing amazing.

Green beans are so yummy. I never thought to do that with tempeh...only fu. Excellent recipe, thanks!

Katy said...

I have a block of tempeh in the fridge that I had no idea what I was going to use it for. Now I know! We're going to have a yummy southern meal thanks to you!!!

twoveganboys said...

Wow. This looks so yummy. Gotta love Southern food.

Jennifer (of Veg*n Cooking) said...

Now that IS a way to satisfy those comfort food cravings. That gravy sounds fantastic! I've been thinking of other "bean patty" variations lately, so perhaps I could make this meal using a bean patty instead of tofu or tempeh. Am I seriously the only non-dairy eating vegetarian who doesn't like tofu, tempeh, or seitan? I really wish I did sometimes...

River said...

You know that thing that you have to choose five famous people you would like to have dinner with? I don't know who the people would be, but I know we would be eating this!! Heck I don't care who the people are, I'd be too busy eating your delicious food anyway!! :)

...barbara... said...

rocking comfort food....
for some strange reason i am now dying for roasted green beans.....

vegannifer said...

Anything with nutritional yeast in it sounds good to me! You are such a creative cook! Always producing such innovative and nutritious meals.

Great job!

shellyfish said...

I am eating my heart out over here!!!! That would be like, my very perfect comfort dinner of all time! SOOOOOO GOOOOD!

Alice (in Veganland) said...

Oh yes! another recipe for tempeh! I make your tempeh crumbs all the time and can't stop eating them!

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

everything about this meal sounds delicious!

allularpunk said...

wowza. this looks amazing! that gravy! that breading! those potatoes! the beans!

yeah, everything looks fabulous, jessy. you rule.

Bex said...

I just did a similar dish to this last night with tofu. I'll sneak this on the table in a couple days :)

Chessa said...

Yum, this meal looks screamingly delicious! Now I have to rethink my dinner plans, because I really want to incorporate this gravy!

One word about the green beans - they are truly magnificent when you toss them with a little olive oil AND lemon juice right before roasting/broiling. I swear the lemony goodness is the best! Try it!

Marni said...

Comfort-food-o-rama! The whole meals looks divine.

aTxVegn said...

Yum Yum Yum! What a perfect southern meal, gravy and all!

evestirs said...

looks really yummy!

whenever you are planning on coming for a Caps game let me know, we're season ticket holders and get tickets half price :)

Nikki Douglas said...

Oh boy does this look incredible. I mean superw00t as you would say!

Chelsea said...

yumyumyumyumyumyumyumyyummy!!!!!!!!

Jeni Treehugger said...

Your food always looks so good!!
If there was a ascii for thumbs up I'd be going mental typing it now!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oh man, that sounds like the perfect meal!

Erin said...

Melisser took the words out of my mouth. It could be THE perfect meal. Breaded, baked tempeh had never crossed my mind and it sounds amazing.

Lindsay I-F said...

i can just imagine making this on a cold winters day...so yummy