Wednesday, October 1, 2008

VeganMoFo: chickpea gravy 'n biscuits! oh yay!

when we first started happyveganface we made some of vegan dad's biscuits 'n chickpeas. while it was super tasty, we wanted to tweak it and make it even more glorious - so we did just that! this chick pea gravy is really super tasty (lots of compliments from dan here! yay!) and has a little more of that gravy flavor we were looking for! it's comforting, creamy, and delicious - just perfect for fall weather! of course, we made some biscuits to smother with the chickpea gravy, 'cause you know - that's just what'cha gotta do with gravy! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

ingredients for the gravy:
3 large carrots, finely sliced
3 ribs of celery, finely sliced
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp margarine
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 cup rice milk
1 tsp liquid braggs
1 tsp yellow (or mild) miso
2-3 tbsp whole wheat flour
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 cups cooked chickpeas
1/2 cup water (you can use some reserved bean water here)
sea salt & black pepper to taste (if you like)

ingredients for the biscuits:
1 cup all-purpose whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose white flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup plain rice milk (or any vegan milk)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup shortening

what you'll need:
- medium mixing bowl (for make'n biscuits)
- small mixing bowl (for make'n biscuits
- no-stick cookie sheet (for bake'n biscuits)
- large skillet (for the chick pea gravy)
- medium sized sauce pan (for the chick pea gravy)

what'cha gotta do for the chick pea gravy:
in the large skillet heat up 1 tsp olive oil on medium high heat. add in the carrots, onions, and celery - saute until the onions begin to brown. stir in cooked chickpeas, saute everything for another 2-3 minutes, and remove the skillet from heat (keep the veggies & chickpeas in the skillet 'cause you're gonna put the gravy in there in a bit!). in the medium sauce pan heat 1 tsp margarine on medium heat. once melted add in rice milk, reserved bean water & seasonings. combine well. once the rice milk is looking like it's going to boil a little, add in the nutritional yeast, liquid bragg's, miso, flour, and cornstarch. cook this for another 3 minutes stirring frequently (so as not to burn it) until it thickens. salt & pepper to taste if you like. pour your gravy into the skillet with your sauteed mix of chickpeas, carrots, celery, & onions. cook on medium (to medium-high) heat for another 2-4 minutes (adding more flour if needed to thicken it up). remove from heat.

what'cha gotta do for the biscuits:
preheat your oven to 350 degrees. in the small mixing bowl whisk together 3/4 cup rice milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar and set aside. combine the flours, sea salt, and baking powder in the large mixing bowl. add in the shortening and cut this into the flour with a fork until the flour begins to get a texture like uncooked oats. pour in the milk + vinegar mixture ("buttermilk") and combine to form a dough. lightly knead the dough on your counter top for a few seconds combining everything evenly. the dough is really soft so you won't need a rolling pin - just use your hands to kinda pat out the dough to about 1" thick and use a kitchen glass to cut out some biscuits (we made 6 large biscuits). place the biscuits on the non-stick cookie sheet and bake for 9-11 minutes. remove from heat & transfer to a cooling rack.

now slice a biscuit (or two, or three!) in half, smother with gravy, and enjoy! wahoooooooooooooooooo!

25 comments:

theliberalvegan said...

Yummy! Wow that looks amazing.

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

biscuits and gravy is great way to start VeganMoFo! Yum.

seitanismymotor said...

Biscuits and gravy is still a strange concept to me. maybe trying this should be incorporated in my VeganMoFo plans. To be on the safe side I am saving this recipe. Thank you. Oh, and the picture looks awesome.

Sal said...

mmm i am so hungry looking at that!!

Urban Vegan said...

Looks like classic comfort food to me,. I feel better just looking at it. And hooray for Vegan MoFo! It's kind of like Xmas for vegans, right? ;)

Jess - The Domestic Vegan said...

Those look amazing!! I absolutely love biscuits & gravy... I am actually making cinnamon rolls right now to make sure I didn't screw anything up in my posted recipe, but now I am in the mood for biscuits! Damn. Cinnamon rolls or biscuits & gravy? Hmmm... Rough life. :)

I'm so glad you're going to try the cinnamon rolls! Let me know how you like them. :) Also, I wanted to tell you (since you said you already printed it off) that I forgot to put 1/2 c. *+ 1 Tbsp.* soy milk for the roll part (I just wrote 1/2 c.)! I have corrected the recipe on my blog, but wanted to make sure you knew! :) I really hope you enjoy them!

Jennifer (of Veg*n Cooking) said...

Not only does this look and sound fantastic, but a recipe for homemade biscuits too? !!!!!!! :-) !!!!!!! You flippin' rock Jessy!

Marni said...

Awwwyeaaaah, baby! I love that you are fellow chickpea devotee. Perhaps you could amp up the chickpea factor on this a bit by replacing some of the flour in the biscuits with chickpea flour. ??? Hmmmm ... maybe I'll give that a go.

Either way, these look divine. Nicely done!

Lauren said...

Wow biscuits and gravy! HELLO! YUUUUUMM!!

I am saving this gravy recipe for Thanksgiving time!

B36Kitchen said...

If I had to pick one meal for the rest of my life this would be it!

Alice (in Veganland) said...

I should try making some gravy. I'm a bit intimidated, but it shouldn't be so difficult, should it? It looks scrumptious!

allularpunk said...

do you have any idea how long it's been since i've had biscuits and gravy? way, way, way too long. that recipe looks sooooo gooooooood!

jennycestcake said...

That does sound good! Very filling and satisfying, I'm sure!

jessy said...

thanks, Liberal Vegan! and welcome to happyveganface! :)

i totally agree, Lisa - i loooove me some biscuits 'n gravy and thought it would be a tasty start to a month of yumminess! your scramble looked droolworthy, too! mmmmmmmmmmmm!

i hear ya on that one, Mihl. i'd never had biscuits 'n gravy until we became vegan - and we live in the south! ahahahaa! it's a tasty combination though - you should give it a try! mmmmmm!

thanks, Sal! i get hungry looking at all of your rock'n foods, too! you made me want a mojito yesterday! yay!

you're so right, Urban Vegan - it really IS like x-mas! hooray for veganmofo, fo 'sho!

thanks, Jess! and thanks for the revision on your cinnamon buns - i made note on the recipe i printed out! i will be sure to let you know how they turn out. i think i'm going to make them in a few weeks when i have some time one weekend morning. your cinnamon buns look soooo awesome! i can't wait to make them! mmmmmmmmmm!

oh yes, Jennifer - homemade biscuits, indeed! they're one of our absolute favorites! they take about 5 minutes to throw together and just 10 minutes to bake - so fast, so easy, sooooo yummmmmmmmm!

that's BRILLIANT, Marni! next batch 'o gravy you KNOW i'm using some chick pea flour! i bought some a while ago for french toast and haven't really used it for too much since then! i'm totally going to add it in! :D

this recipe would be perfect for November, Lauren. it's total comfort food - filling & makes yaq feel all warm and fuzzy! it's so delish!

ahahahaa, that's awesome B36! i think for me it would be a tie between biscuits 'n gravy and falafel for me! biscuits 'n gravy are just so freak'n good! how can one not love them the most!?! yay!

don't be intimidated, Alice - gravy is a snap to make. i couldn't make an omni gravy to save my life, but vegan gravy is super easy! give it a try sometime! it's so tasty!

you should totally make some biscuits 'n gravy soon, Jessica! you know you want to! how did those october beans turn out?

it is really filling and satisfying, Jennifer. and what i love about it is that you can totally add in whatever veggies you love the most - and you can change up the beans, too! definitely a good fall & winter meal.

sweetpotato said...

Yum! I want some :) I love chickpeas.

shellyfish said...

We must be biscuits twins! I made biscuits & gravy for dinner yesterday - super yummmmmmmmm! Love it!

River said...

I've never had biscuits and gravy before, but that ridiculously delicious and enticing picture of yours just made me want to gobble them down!

Thank you for leaving such a nice comment on my Halloweegan post! You're too sweet! :)

pixiepine said...

Definitely trying this one!!

Vegan_Noodle said...

I don't think you can ever go wrong with chickpeas!! Oh and I haven't had biscuits in so so long!

Chessa said...

OMGYUM! That looks like a fabulous gravy recipe. If I hadn't made gravy just last night there is a good chance I would have made this to eat tonight, because did I mention OMGYUM!? It's going on the to do list.

pinkhairedcyn said...

ZOMG, that looks so delicious. You are giving me biscuits & gravy fever! (And the only cure is biscuits & gravy.)

Bianca said...

Holy freakin' crap! That just gave me a food orgasm. Biscuits and gravy are my fave! And topped with veggie-laden chickpea gravy. You're killing me!

tofufreak said...

Man, am i craving biscuits and gravy or what? i was seriously just thinking about (vegan) biscuits and gravy! what a coincidence (or perhaps destiny :D)

VeganCowGirl said...

oh my goodness - they look fantastic! What a great idea. I love the idea of biscuits and gravy...haven't had that little treat in ages. Yum Yum!

Lindsay I-F said...

yum chickpea's, gravy and biscuits how can you not love that