Tuesday, August 19, 2008

tofu 'n cabbage with wasabi awesomeness


in trying to decided what to create for dinner last night we thought back to this recipe and figured improving it would be rock'n! so we did! using the head 'o local cabbage, some local tofu, and a few carrots (left over from when i made coleslaw for a friend's party) - we created this wasabi-infused tofu 'n cabbage dish! dan & i really, really loved this dish! it turned out to be easy to make, and i already mentioned that we looooved it, right?!

dinner last night had to be fast - so monday night i went ahead & cut up the cabbage & carrots, cooked some brown rice, and started marinating the tofu. all we had to do last night was whip up the sauce, bake the tofu, and saute the cabbage mix. it was super fast + super tasty - and we'll be making this dish again! fo 'sho! i love when something so easy + simple turns out to be so damn tasty!! :)


ingredients for the veggies:
1 head 'o green cabbage "shredded" (i cut it super thin with my chef's knife)
3 carrots, peeled into thin strips
1 onion, sliced super thin
1 tsp peanut oil
1 tbsp sesame seeds

ingredients for the tofu:
1 block o' extra firm tofu - drained, pressed, and cut into shapes you love
1 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tbsp agave nectar
2 tbsp liquid braggs
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp water
1 tsp olive oil (optional)

ingredients for the wasabi awesomeness:
1 tbsp prepared wasabi (we made ours from the powdered stuff)
1/4 cup liquid braggs
2-3 tbsp brown sugar (depends on how sweet you want it)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp olive oil (optional)

what you'll need:
large skillet
container + lid for marinating tofus
baking sheet
small sauce pan
(and some brown rice if you like)

what'cha gotta do for the tofu:
combine the brown sugar through the olive oil in the container you'll be marinating the tofu in. mix until brown sugar is absorbed - add in tofu, cover, and marinate for at least an hour (our marinated while we were at work). once the tofu is good & ready place on a lightly greased (or no-stick) baking sheet and bake on 350 (no need to preheat) for 20-30 minutes - turning over half way through the cooking time (you just want your tofu to begin to brown up a bit). remove from oven & set aside.

what'cha gotta do for the wasabi awesomeness:
combine ingredients in the small sauce pan. heat on medium until it begins to boil. reduce heat & simmer for another minute or two (adjust to taste) - remove from heat.

what'cha gotta do for the cabbage mix:
in the large skillet heat 1 tsp peanut oil on medium-high heat. saute thinly sliced onion until it just starts to brown (about 3-4 minutes), add in cabbage & carrots - saute until they just being to soften. now drizzle 1/2 of your wasabi awesomeness over the cabbage mix & sprinkle in the sesame seeds. combine it all & saute for just another minute. remove from heat.

and finally:
place a little brown rice (if you like) on a plate, add on some cabbage mix, then tofu, and drizzle the remainder of your wasabi awesomeness on top of everything. dig in & enjoy!

13 comments:

Jennifer (of Veg*n Cooking) said...

I love any excuse to use wasabi! This sounds pretty dang good Jessy. Sometimes I really wish I DID like tofu, I could make all sorts of these yummy things, but alas, I do not, so this sparks my creativity. I was reading this post, drooling, wracking my brain for what type of bean or mushroom could take the place of the tofu!

whatiateyesterday said...

Looks awesome. I love the twin oaks tofu, thanks for introducing me to it!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

II do't remember ever trying wasabi. I'm sure I must've at some point, since I lived in Japan, but I think it's high time I try it again!

jennycestcake said...

Very nice! Did the wasabi make the dish super hot or was it bearable? Maybe those of us who like a little less heat could just use less wasabi??

Alice (in Veganland) said...

easy, tasty AND with wasabi? count me in :-) Great idea to marinate the tofu. Awesome.

jessy said...

i hear ya on not liking tofu, Jennifer! i didn't care for it much either - think i've just gotten kinda adjusted to it. but it's probably a good thing you don't care for it - soy can be scary stuff with all the GMO crud out there! eek! i bet shittake or portobellos might be a good substitute. or just saute up more veggies to enjoy!

glad you're liking the twin oaks tofu too, C! gotta love that it's local! w00t!

CCV - you should totally try some wasabi! it's sooooo tasty - it can be spicy, but the flavor is really awesome! :)

the heat of the wasabi was ever so subtle, Jennifer. i think the agave & brown sugar kinda mellowed it out. but if you make the sauce i would recommend starting with just a teaspoon and adding more after tasting!

i love marinating my tofus - gives them just a little more flavor, Alice! and let me know if you try this dish - i love feedback! yay!

pinkhairedcyn said...

That sounds so good! Tofu + cabbage + wasabi = awesome

shellyfish said...

Damn Jessy! You are like, my culinary bff- wasabi awsomeness? Right on! (Yes, I am one of those people who loves her wasabi so strong that my eyes water...). I want some! Right now! I love that you give us your recipes...I think you must be a very generous person!

aTxVegn said...

Okay I absolutely love wasabi and I am definitely making this awesomeness!

Bianca said...

I love that you call it "wasabi awesomeness." Cute! Wasabi really is one of the bestest things in the world. I gotta remember this one. I love cabbage and tofu together.

VeganCowGirl said...

Sounds amazing. I am all up for dinners that you can prep ahead of time. And the photo is GREAT!! Whoop Whoop to you and Dan for redoing a great dish and sharing! Thanks.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Looks delicious! Wasabi is such a great way to perk up a meal!

Rural Vegan said...

You come up with the best names for dishes. I would totally buy a product called "Wasabi Awesomeness"!