Sunday, June 8, 2008

whole wheat tortillas


dan and i are having quesadillas later this week so i thought i would make us some whole wheat tortillas a little ahead of time! this is a great basic recipe for whole wheat tortillas – and it makes for about 4 medium sized tortillas. feel free to double it and make a big batch. they last about 2 weeks sealed up in the fridge (we actually keep them in an old store bought tortilla bag). w00t!

ingredients:
½ cup all-purpose white flour
1 cup all-purpose wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ cup warm water (you might need a few tbsp extra of water or so)
¼ tsp sea salt
1 tbsp olive oil (optional)

what you’ll need:
- medium sized mixing bowl
- large skillet
- rolling pin

what’cha gotta do:
in the mixing bowl combine flours, baking powder, & sea salt. add warm water (and oil, if you're using it) into bowl combining with the flour mix & water with a fork or spoon to form a dough (add a few more tbsp of water if needed). knead the dough, for a minute or two, (adding more flour if needed) until smooth. tear pieces of dough and roll into 4 dough balls (they’ll be a little larger than golf balls). cover them (we just flip the bowl over them and let that be the cover) & let rest for about 15 minutes. sprinkle a little flour on your counter top & roll dough out to the desired thickness. heat the large skillet on medium-high heat & place a tortilla in the skillet. cook for about 30 seconds, flip over and cook for about 30seconds to 1 minute until done. you can turn the tortillas over once again if the first side down isn't done (it may already be good to go!). remove from heat & allow to cool on a cooling rack. you can eat ‘em now or cool completely & store for later use!

8 comments:

shellyfish said...

I make tortillas all the time- we love them, and it's the best way to avoid all the icky hydrgenated oils. Yours look delish!

Erin said...

Thanks for the recipe! I really ought to make my own tortillas instead of buying them.

Bianca said...

What a great idea to store them in an old tortilla bag! Yours look really yummy. I tried to make homemade tortillas once, but I made them too thick. They were tasty, just thick.

Jennifer said...

Jessy you are amazing. Tortillas have long been one of my only 'super processed' vices. I have been unable to find good whole wheat tortillas at the store and have been too lazy to make my own.

Your post is convincing me to try at least once.

Alice (in Veganland) said...

oh, I wish I was brave enough to try these...

Vegan_Noodle said...

I"m so impressed that you made your own tortillas!! I'm usually lazy and just buy them, but I bet yours taste sooo much better!

Vegyogini said...

Someone just gave me a tortilla press, so I'm going to try your recipe!

Recipe For Disaster said...

I just made these, they're lovely... doubled the recipe and even got the hang of rolling out the next tortilla before the cooking one finishes!

I had to try them hot from the pan, so folded one over with some hot peppers and cheddar-OMG such a delicious instant quesadilla!

I used no regular flour, just whole wheat. I added garlic and onion powder and cayenne to the dough, and instead of warm water I heated up the juice from a can of tomatoes & green chilies(that I'm using for dinner with the tortillas)!

I was really surprised that the little golf balls yielded such large tortillas!